Thursday, August 23, 2012

Our First Week -- Ups and Downs!!

Yippee!!

We made it through our first week of homeschool. I must say that both G and I are very rusty in this whole focus-thing that is required to at least get started with actually doing something not related to the pool or beach.

I will admit, the first day was rough and there were facets of my personality I was none too proud of on that day. There were threats of bodily harm, attending public school again and me moving to a deserted island ALONE!  Whew!! But, G and I made it and agreed before the day was up that we needed to change some things soon as our process was going south real fast!! We stopped, prayed and regrouped.

Tuesday was our second day of school and it went much better. I made some adjustments to our schedule so that we weren't trying to do so much in one day. I allowed G to make some more decisions in regards to the order of what he wanted to study. Also, I encouraged him to share what kind of activities or ideas he had for how to make this more appealing to him. He shrugged and admited he likes what we are studying.  It is just the "having to do it" that bugs him. Okay -- he gets that honest!! I have always been notorious for not wanting to do what I was "required to do." For instance, back in high school, if I was assigned to read a particular book -- I HATED IT and dragged my feet to get it done. Whereas, if I had picked it up on my own, I would have gladly consumed it and even asked for seconds. I am hoping to engage him more and use his ideas for how we approach our study.

Wednesday was our third day and it went really well! I don't even think I raised my voice and he barely rolled his eyes! We are making progress!! Honestly, it was a better day because we just stuck with what was working and I took out the extra stuff I was trying to add. I decided (and discussed it with G) that we would hold off on the extras he and I agreed to add this year - like Spanish and cursive, writing until we were had a groove with the core stuff. It took a lot of pressure off both of us!

Thursday, today, was our final day of the week. I intentionally schedule a 4 day work week so we have an extra day in the event of a field trip, doctor's appointment, sick day, 'not feeling it day,' etc.... Today was pretty low key because to be honest, we were somewhat ahead of schedule even with all my ranting and his raving!!

That being said - we are making adjustments to our schedule and to be realistic, we'll probably be doing that through the entire year. Love the flexibility and freedom with homeschooling to do just that. Bottom line for the week: We still love each other and we are still homeschooling in our PJs!

Hope all of you had a successful first week or will have if you haven't started yet!!

1 comment: