Monday, August 13, 2012

Dare to compare

Confession time!! I spent most of my first year homeschooling comparing myself to others, especially those well organized veterans that gave the appearance of being calm, cool and collected while their well-behaved brood of at least 12 sat quietly while mommy had a conversation. Okay, okay!! Maybe I am stretching it a little, but let's face it -- that's what we do when we compare. All the reality of their lives seems to fade into the background, while the spotlight shines brightest on the areas of their lives we like least about own.

I have not always been the most confident person yet I can carry myself like I am. So ,I am quite an expert on the contemplative study of the lives of others: ie: Comparing!!! In reality, if I had the opportunity to be a proverbial fly on the wall or actually have a "Freaky Friday" experience and spend a little time in their skin, I would more than likely find out that they have the same struggles I do.  I am sure their little darlings talk back, complain about schoolwork, and generally behave like children. In addition, I am sure that her house is not always immaculate, her lesson plans are somewhat scattered and that she has to also lock herself in the bathroom for a few minutes of alone time!

I have vowed to myself, in this my second year of this homeschool journey, to avoid at all costs the deadly comparison issue.  I will however stop short at wearing blinders and never leaving my house. What I will do is realize that my family and I are doing what works for us! That the dishes don't always have to be completely out of the sink; the laundry can wait a little longer; it's okay if we don't finish our science book before the end of the year; G and I are okay if he skips Latin in the 3rd grade and tries something he wants to do -- like play guitar; and so on!

So, folks before you start trying to compare yourself to anyone else just remember, you are who God intended you to be. YOU know what's best for your family. The same shoe does not fit everybody! Not all curriculum or teaching styles are created equal and that can only be measured by you!!

Remember, life is like an ice cream shop! There are so many flavors to try and you're not going to like them all. Sometimes it takes being a little bold and mixing a couple together to find just the right taste for you!!

Ummmm... Ice cream.. Time for a scoop or two while I lounge back for some me time!! You guessed, it -- I will wearing my favorite PJs!!


4 comments:

  1. Great insights and encouragement. One correction however: If you're only taking 5 minutes when you lock yourself in a bathroom, you're doing it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known make a comment about "tummy trouble" and scurry in with a good book!!

      Delete
  2. Great post Paula! You are right, it is hard not to compare ourselves to others, especially when we are new to something or unsure of ourselves. The reality is though that the only ones we hurt by doing this are ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Paula!

    New follower from the blog Piggy In Polka Dots! I was reading your posts and saw where you wrote your son goes to speech therapy. My 8 year old son does as well. He has had a severe speech disorder for some time but it is getting better. I don't meet a lot of moms that talk about their kiddos speech and thought that I would follow you! We have some things in common! :) In addition... my kiddos are in public school but I do work with my 4 year old at home trying to get him ready for school next year. So I can relate to you. We definitely learn what works and what doesn't as we go along. I think you have a good thing going. Looking forward to your future posts! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete