Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Almost ready!!!

Woo Hoo!! We are ready to go with the new school year. Well, to be fair G doesn't share the same level of excitement and enthusiasm as I do. If I squint really hard when I look at him, I can make almost make out a little smile. No, not really! But, a girl can dream!!

How did we get here? Well, it all started with clearing off the boxes that had taken over my spare room. I don't even know why we have a bed in there. I think it just so I don't take up hoarding things as it is really hard to put things neatly upon and around the bed. Anyway, I digress!!

Since the beginning of summer, anything school related or anything "I don't want to deal with right now" has been delegated to the spare room. And for some reason, I seem to develop selective amnesia about that part of the house. Then one day, I walk in there and think "oh my -- how did all this stuff get in here???"  This truly happens to me just prior to Christmas, near Easter,  when we're expecting guests and just before school starts. So, it's time for the quarterly cleaning and organizing.

So, G and I dug in on the room yesterday and much to my surprise, he really was excited to see the different books and projects we will be working on this year. As we cleaned, we talked about all the cool things we were going to learn and how we could incorporate different projects, field trips and activities into the year. So, in essence I guess he is a little more excited than I gave him credit for in my opening.

I don't think that I have mentioned that in our home, we don't have a school room or even a school area. Last year, we used rolling carts with drawers to keep our school supplies and books together. We would roll them out each morning to the dining room table to get started. I found that I started stacking the school books at the far end of the table or in one of the empty chairs because somewhere along the line, we weren't as diligent about clearing the area.  I really dislike clutter thus the reason I have a spare room with a door that I can close. (Hey, it's all making sense!)

Well, this year I purchased a heavy duty crate cart to hold our books. That put less weight on the rolling drawer carts and the wheels won't fall off. Another possible reason that contributed to our lack of diligence. Hmmmmm.... Anyway, we cleaned out the old carts and loaded up the books into my heavy duty rolling cart. In the end,  I was so elated since everything that had once taken up a queen size bed was now stored conveniently in a much smaller space. We did however have  a nice pile of boxes in which G claimed as his very own for a "project" that has yet to be determined. Oh well, at least the bed is cleaned off, the supplies are ready to go and the boxes are neatly stacked in and around each other. Now it's my mission and I choose to accept it - to squirrel those boxes out to the trash a couple at a time.

G shouldn't be too upset because after all, we have to start our pre-Christmas hoarding about now. That should give him something to look forward to!! LOL

1 comment:

  1. I have a room like that, only I get to the purging....well, I guess I'll let you know when that happens. :-)
    Enjoy your year! One of my favorite people to google for cool science investigations is Steve Spangler. Watch him on YouTube! Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete