Friday, August 29, 2014

An Internal Struggle



TGIF!!! TGIF!!! This week seems like it has gone on forever and that is no reflection on the homeschool part of our life. I have to keep reminding myself that "flexibility" is my mantra for this year. The problem is that "OCD-compulsive-list-making-rule following" side of me!! SHE needs to understand that we need to be ready to change on a dime. Some weeks are easier at this than others and I can keep her happily at bay when it all goes according to plan. But the past couple of weeks, SHE has been none-to-happy with me and my new love affair with my eraser.

Honestly, I have the hardest time not letting things go. I stress about getting it all done!! I stress about not meeting expectations. The problem with this last one is that I haven't been able to determine who's expectations I am not meeting!! My self-imposed LEGALISM is killing me. LOL

I have had to adjust many of the days of work ahead for us to compensate for Kiddo's activities. This is the first year he has been excited about any type of sport. To compound things, he has picked two that he loves (Cross Country and Swimming) that are in the same time of year and currently meet on the same days for practice. The Principal (aka Hubby) and I have never pushed him to stay in a sport or activity once he has tried it to determine if he will like it. These two sports, he relishes. We have seen an improvement in his confidence and his overall ability to focus. One of our reasons for homeschooling was to allow him to stretch his wings and try things he would not otherwise be able to do if he attended brick and mortar schools. Basically, use the time we have together to learn, experience new things and to grow!

A brief aside for a little momma brag: His swim coach told me yesterday that Kiddo was a pleasure to coach because he was eager to learn, responded well to coaching and was focused on improving his form. WOW!! My first response was, "I am so proud" and immediately after, I thought --"do you want to come home and go over math with him too?" Of course, I didn't say anything out loud yet, I thanked him for his kind words and explained we were very proud of him as well.

If I could only find a way to motivate Kiddo like that! I know it's because he's passionate about the sport and he also thinks it's a lot of fun. I am trying to find a way to work that type of approach into sometimes boring subjects. For instance, I must admit I was never a fan of math and that has not changed in my many years around the Sun. Kiddo likes math but struggles with math facts and memorization. He totally gets the complex functions and processes.  Half the time, he teaches me how to do something. We make a good team because I know the math facts and he knows the processes. Unfortunately for him, we can't always do the work together!

I can see it now.......(cue screen fade and dream sequence music here). Kiddo is at his desk at work and the boss needs a report ASAP. Kiddo and I are literally joined at the hip while he works on one part and I work on the other to complete the best doggone report his boss has ever received. Actually, this report will be the report in which all other reports are judged by... UHmmmmmm.. Back to reality here Ms. Paula. A girl can dream, can't she?? Who am I  kidding? I can't even get him to hug or kiss me goodbye in public! I highly doubt he's going to let me go to work with him. LOL  (cue bubble burst and insert reality).

Anyway, what I am basically rambling on about is that we made it another week. We completed the assigned work. Kiddo is actually learning through all the flexibility. He is learning key skills and wonderful character traits in his swimming and cross country. We now have to work on ME!

The "only" problem I have is truly letting it all go and allowing all my personalities (yes, I am talking to you Ms. Compulsive) to relax and just go with it. After all, he's not going to be young forever and I often fail to acknowledge the merits of the education he is receiving outside of math worksheets and lapbooks!

That is honestly how this mom is homeschooling this week! Check back next time and it could be all different.

I'm off to chant my mantra "FLEXIBILITY," "FLEXIBILITY," "FLEXIBILITY..........."


No comments:

Post a Comment