Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Do I have any hair left?

We are in the thick of the homeschool process and we are ramped up and should be ready to go. Life, however, continues to throw kinks in my plans.

Kiddo really enjoyed his first day at his STEM class on Thursday so that was a "no plan" day for me. I had planned to get some work done on Friday but instead lessons plans were shifted again. (See! That eraser is already getting a workout!! )We've had some health issues at our little abode the last couple of months. Thanks to great insurance and wonderful doctors that want to find out what is wrong with Hubby, scheduling his needs has taken top priority. 

Friday, Kiddo and I changed our writing assignment to list making then combined that with a lesson in economics by visiting our local store to pick up items that we needed for the weekend to help the Principal feel better.  Real-life math lessons came into play with calculating if we were getting the best value when looking at sizes and brands. Later, we continued the science and math aspect of our day with cooking. We were able to utilize measurements, cause effect and time management.  I feel better being able to rationalize it that way!

We did get a little "book learning" in during the day but it was limited and we were really distracted with all that we had going on. 

Monday came and Kiddo went off to a friend's for the day so I could tend to the Principal and take him to some doctor's appointments. I sent Kiddo off with some work that was to be completed. Once he came home, he advised me he only completed one page because he thought it was just busy work!!

Well, that didn't sit too well with me. Kiddo learned a hard lesson today because not only did he have to do yesterday's work that he incorrectly deemed as "busy work" but he also had a full load of work today as well. 

Fortunately, all looks well with the Principal but I discussed with Kiddo today that at almost 11 years old, he is expected to work independently at times. I explained how we work as a team but I can't be there all the time to make sure he gets his work done. 

I know it was a little extreme to have him do everything today and we missed our weekly park day with our homeschool group as a result. I must admit, I didn't intentionally miss park day -- I truly forgot about it because I neglected to put in on my planning calendar. YIKES! I need those park days just as much as he does.  

He did get a lesson in Civics today as we voted in our local Primary! I am glad that he is interested in the democratic process. So, I am putting this one in the "WIN" column for today.

He and I agreed that he will be more focused on getting his work done and  he realized that the more he goofs off, the more work he will have to do in the end. He is going to start using a daily checklist that we created together to make sure he gets his work done. We agreed that there will be days that we don't do it all and are not expected to do it all but at least by looking at the chart, he knows to check to make sure.

At this point, I am just trying to get both of us back in the routine of doing school but allowing flexibility to take scheduled, as well as unscheduled, breaks. 

He and I differ on our views of education. I loved school and would have devoted my life to being a professional student if I could have found a way to make a decent living at it. LOL  He, on the other hand, is very laid back and doesn't see the need to "dig deep" and go beyond what is expected. 

It's been one of those days in which I try to remember what it was like when he went to school for the entire day. All I can remember is, how much I missed him! I realize that even on these rough days, I am still called to travel this homeschool journey. That's what I hold onto when I start getting frustrated with him. It's the little things that get me through.

That's how this momma homeschools and today it is all about transparency.

No comments:

Post a Comment