Monday, September 8, 2014

Still Learning Lessons

Oh My GOODNESS!! What a week+, we have had! It seems like Team Drennan is taking care of their issues within the span of a couple of months. At least that is what I am telling myself. LOL My favorite saying lately is, "A girl can dream, can't she!!" 

Anyway, school is getting done but not as quickly as I had planned. Honestly, our schedule had been so disrupted that I only plan ONE (1) day at a time now.  Yep! That's right. The visions of weeks of lesson planned are no longer dancing in my head. I am now a realist plus, I was really wearing out my eraser and figured this was a much better use of my time and energy to just stop the madness.

Friday week, our AC went out and it took them until Tues morning to get it working. Right after that resolved itself (or was repaired), the septic system took a dive so there was that issue to deal with. (No description needed!) Fortunately, the Lord blessed us and the repairs to both systems were minor in the scheme of things and didn't cost near as much as we expected. Factor in the fact that, Kiddo had his bi-annual cleaning AND I had to make an emergency trip to the eye doctor because my new contacts didn't agree with me AND Kiddo had a follow up appointment with his asthma/allergy doctor AND our Crystal Springs Preserve monthly trip fell on this week AND Awana started at our church AND swim practice times kept changing AND Kiddo had to put in a 2 mile run before he ran his first cross country meet this past Saturday.  WHEW!! I'm exhausted just writing all of that! 

Nevertheless, school was done and lessons were learned. Some of it was purely doing math in the car by me quizzing him and going over history lessons by having him re-tell me stories and "clarify" things I couldn't exactly remember. He loves to think he's smarter than me! To be honest, many times he is and I am blown away by the amount he retains. I kick myself every time he does this, because half the time I am not even sure he is paying attention and then BAM!!, he shows me that he was paying attention! 

To be fair, with the exception of the household issues and doctors' appointments, the rest was pretty fun! I am thankful that I have allowed us the grace and simmered down and not stressed.....well not as much as I used to.... about getting everything on MY list done. 

Kiddo impressed me and showed so much fortitude with his first cross country meet this past Saturday. We got up at O'dark Thirty to be at the event by 630am. He ran at 9 against Middle school JV and V kids from all over the state.  He did great!! He finished and had a huge smile on his face when he saw his Grandma, cousins, Mom, Dad and his coach on the sidelines cheering him on! I was (am still am) very proud of him. This after only ONE (1) month of training. This from a kid that for all intents and purposes is perfectly happy sitting on the couch playing video games. He showed me that it's okay to push him because he will rise to the challenge. Not only will he rise but he actually likes it. Not to mention the fact, that seeing his confidence increase along with his physical endurance brings tears to this momma's eyes.

So, as a family we have persevered and pray that we get a break for a little while. But at least we know that "we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us." (emphasis mine - Phillipians 4:13). 

I also have been reminded that Kiddo is capable of so much more than he lets on that he can do. I am going to try and challenge him more with my expectations of his work and the things we do at our humble learning environment.  

That's it kiddies -- that's how this momma homeschools this week!! (Again, just taking it a day at a time and trying to be FLEXIBLE!)

No comments:

Post a Comment