Sunday, August 4, 2013

Why Join a Homeschool Group



I am now heading into my third year on this homeschool adventure. In many ways, I still feel ill-equipped and quite wobbly with the sea legs of a novice homeschooler but, in other ways, I am pretty seasoned. Not sure exactly when it happened, but I now find myself with the tables turned answering questions from new and prospective homeschool families. I will be the first to admit, that I don't know everything and believe me I still do my share of asking ALOT of questions. Let's face it, this homeschool process is different for all of us and as each year comes, new questions and situations plague us.

Lately, I have been asked by several people about if and why should they join a homeschool group. I guess for me, joining a homeschool group was a non-issue. Let me start with a little back story.

My kiddo went to public school for two years (and even a short three week stint in a charter school).  Conversely, his best friend has never entered the hallowed halls of institutionalized education.  He and his family belonged to a local homeschool group that met at a local park as my kiddo was getting out of school. As a result, our calendar was consistently booked on Thursdays from 230p-430p to meet with his friend and the 50+ homeschool children at the park. So, for two years I listened to these mommies talk about homeschool and I sat back with that "I could never do that" and "good for you - but not for me" attitude, all the while being accepted by the group as an honorary member of the homeschool group. Shhhhh - don't tell -- but I actually pulled my kiddo out of school to attend a few field trips with his friend as part of the group. Therefore, when I made the plunge to start homeschooling when my son was entering 2nd grade, it was a no-brainer and relative non-issue that I join this homeschool group.  After all, I had already been grafted-in with my two-year non-paying attendance. LOL.

The following year, I joined a second and third, while still belonging to the first. You may ask - "Why join? and Why join more than one?  Great questions!! I have learned that just as no two homeschool families are alike, no two homeschool groups are alike. They each offer something different and give my family a chance to experience more and grow in our homeschool experience.

Over the years, the groups have offered me support, encouragement and friendship. In my estimation, this is something that homeschool parents need more than anything. Many of my friends and family didn't understand why I had decided to homeschool so, it was nice to be with like-minded people that helped me navigate those early days of my journey and still come alongside to shore me up when I need it. Vice versa - it's reciprocal - -I give now too and for me, there is something liberating and freeing about feeling needed and valued, in essence to be a part of something.

As I mentioned above, I belong to three groups in my area. The first, is what I refer to as my "social" group. It's the one that has a weekly meeting day and time at the local park where I can converse with my homeschool friends and my son can run with wild abandon and get lost in the land of light saber wars with his friends. This group also does parties - so he doesn't miss out on the celebrations. We have a welcome back to school party, a Christmas party, Valentine's Day party complete with exchange, Easter party and year end party!  My kiddo was used those in the school environment so he loves to still be able to do these things.  This group also does a lot of field trips!

The second group I belong to, I initially joined because that was where the organized sports were located. In the past couple of years, it has grown to be more social and offers field trips - thus diversifying the offerings I can choose from during our school year.  We are blessed that this group has an actual building in which we can meet and offer classes to our kids. So, the kids get a chance to attend structured classes ranging from the basics of the 3 R's up to fencing/drama/chess/ and many other extracurricular opportunities.

The third group I belong to is through a local church and it is truly support only. We get together on occasion but it is more of forum to ask questions, share, give direction and support one another.

Homeschool groups vary in size and offerings. Many have a formal membership process and collect dues. My first 2 groups, have a year book and year end promotion ceremonies too.  I will tell you that even without all the offerings of the groups, I have met some very genuine people who believe in educating their children, really care for another and share a sense of community. In these groups, I have found that we come alongside one another with losses of jobs, deaths, sickness, meals, childcare, and wonderful prayer partners. It's a sense of family and instant community.

Homeschooling can be as rigorous and frustrating, as it is rewarding and motivating! The answer to the question as to should they join, the answer is like all related to homeschooling -  it really depends on what you want to do and how it works for your family. Personally, I am not sure I could have made it this far without the homeschool groups in my area.  But that's just me and this is how this momma homeschools!

Check out the FPEA website under Find Your District to locate a homeschool group near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment