Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Almost ready

I find myself getting really excited with the new school year. I have friends that have already started back this year. I love seeing the pictures and reading Facebook posts about their adventures. We are starting a little late as we have a weeklong vacation approaching and we didn't want to conflict with our flow. So, we decided to start the end of the month once we return from a week of relaxing and family bonding.

I sat down a couple of nights ago  and finally planned out the first couple weeks of learning. I only planned that far for a couple of reasons. First, I typically only plan a couple of weeks out so as not put pressure on myself and allow a little wiggle room. Second, I am a little compulsive and abhor eraser marks in my planner - lol. So, by planning shorter periods of time, I have less erasing and less of a chance of me having to rewrite the entire thing. Seriously, I NEED HELP - lol! Finally, we are using new curriculum this year and to be honest, not sure how they will work time-wise. This will allow me a couple of weeks to determine how our daily flow will go and when and where I need to tweak our workload.

I feel much better now that I have my planning done. The last of our curriculum arrived in the mail today.  I have stocked up on school supplies while they are cheap - whether we need them or not!! My planner is ready to go, along with all calendar dates marked with our classes and confirmed field trips.
So, freeing for me.

This year we are using the following curriculum. It is subject to change just as it did last year, but that's the freedom of doing what we do! LOVE IT!


  • My Father's World - Creation to the Greeks (Bible, History, Geography, light Science)
  • Math U See - Math (new to us this year)
  • IEW -  Writing (new to us this year)
  • Fix It Grammar - Grammar (new to us this year)
  • Phonetic Zoo - Spelling (new to us this year)
  • STEM class (one day per week) - Science
  • Awana - (additional Bible)
  • Home Art Studio - Art
  • Rosetta Stone- Spanish (this we will start a little later once we get the flow of IEW & MUS in our schedule) 
  • Handwriting without Tears - Cursive -- going to work through this pretty quick and then incorporate the techniques with our writing and project assignments
  • Computer Programming and Robotics Class (1x per week each) - one of kiddo's favorites!!
Looks like a lot but, most of it works well together or so far that's the way it appears.  Looking forward to putting all this to use and see if my planning skills are on target. If not, then that's okay!! Flexibility is the key to how this momma homeschools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment