Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Don't Pinch Me!!!

Let me just say that after venting all over yesterday's post, boo-hoo'ing with Hubby last night and all the words of encouragement I received from many of you - I feel soooooo much better.

Hubby help me put things into perspective and told me I had his support no matter what avenue I choose in regards to educating G! That being said, he shared with me tactics that may motivate G a little more. Normally, I would be offended that he stepped in and tried to "fix" things but seeing as how G and Hubs have the same learning style, I figured I should listen.  Hubs went on to tell me that G needed more structure than I am giving him.  He suggested that we give up our standard school uniform and get dressed and make school more "official." He said that structure would be able to let G differentiate between play and school. At times, it is okay to smudge the lines in between the two but for now, we have to get a pattern established with the basics.

He also suggested that I give G a time limit for his activities and when the time is up, explain that the work must be done tomorrow or on his own time. Bottom line, all work needs to be completed before any play time the next day. Since we like to do a 4 day school week, any carry-over work would need to be completed on Friday and so on.

Motivation- Motivation- Motivation was his mantra!! G loves words of encouragement but he needs a bigger carrot to chase. Thus, now his school work and behavior will be tied to his screen time on the computer, video games and/or TV. We want him to understand these things are privileges and not "rights." No kid ever died from no TV, video games or computer! A good day = time and bad day = no time for a number of days!

Hubs handed down the new rules this morning in a very gentle way to G. I must say that the day was MUCH BETTER!!!  G had a speech appointment at 1030am but he was able to get half of his work completed before he left! While he was at Speech, he met all his goals and then some!! He said to me as we were walking to the car that he really liked today because "I am applying myself."  Once we got home, he ate lunch and we were able to finish the last part of our school work!

I could pinch myself but I am afraid I might wake up -- but he didn't whine or complain about his work today. When we were done, he told me that he liked it better that he just got it done instead of wasting time.  Cue the chorus of angels!!!

As an aside, the resident Principal did park himself and his laptop near our school area before we left for speech in order to observe! I am thinking this may have contributed some but I am really giving all the credit for G for putting forth his best effort!

Thanks for the prayers!! Thanks for allowing me to vent!!
I am little sad about the no PJ day but oh well - it's a small price to pay for the Big Smile on my face today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment