Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Evolution of the Homeschool Room Update

The homeschool room evolution continues. This past holiday weekend, Hubby and I spent most of Monday cleaning out the homeschool room. We pulled out the luggage and put it in the attic and took some of Hubby's work items and put them in his new office on the other side of the house.  At the end of Monday, the room was about half cleaned but not quite ready to start all the AWESOME learning we plan to do in there.

On Tuesday, Kiddo and I spent time in there after our school work was done and started organizing and placing into piles what was still left to go and what needed to stay. I have a nice plan in my head about how it's all going to work. I informed Hubby (aka - the Principal and general custodian of this fine school of ours) that I needed to move the remainder of his office to well, HIS office!! He understood completely. We are working a plan to get his new office organized to make room for some of the things he left behind.

IKEA will be getting a visit from us soon as I have picked out a nice desk for Kiddo along with chairs and some organizational items that transform that room into a bona fide education Mecca! Okay - maybe that's a little much. BUT, it will be a place that we place our school books, supplies and general items in one place without living out of a rolling cart as we currently do.

Not that there is anything wrong with this method because we have used it for 2 years and worked just fine. My lack of acceptance in the routine came about with the somewhat cluttered, but not-being-used room beckoned me to come and make use of it!! Since the beginning of the summer, I have been excited to move into the room but not quite motivated to get the ball rolling to transport the aforementioned clutter to the dump!! Now that we are in full swing with school, I am motivated and have done more in one week than I have all summer with that room.

My goal is to have it ready and functional by the end of next week. Of course, this will involve the Principal making room in his office. That is a feat in itself, not because he won't do it - but because he has been so busy with work that making room for the stuff is not able to fit on his calendar. Hoping this weekend,  we can make it happen!

So, for now - IKEA will wait and I will dream of the reading nook, computer corner, discussion table, shelves loaded with individual marked containers of supplies, neatly arranged books and folded rolling carts!! AHHHH!! The "dream" will be a reality soon - I just know it! That's what will make this momma happy when she homeschools!!

(pictures and updates coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment