Monday, July 15, 2013

Give Me a Break - getting started again!

Here I am, heading into my 3rd year on this homeschool adventure!! Each year as the school year seems to wind down and we get to the end of the pages in curriculum, I make a vow to myself and to my kiddo that we are not going to stop schooling. I have these grandiose plans to school year round with a lighter workload in the summer months. I have figments of fun math activities to solidify facts and the completion of science projects delegated to the back burner dancing in my head!! But, as soon as the summer months hit, we fill it will VBS, summer camps, vacations, play dates and family visits!!

I must say that the shock of my broken vow didn't hit me until I went to my local super center the other day and to my dismay, the school supplies are appearing on the shelf. To the average child, this is a major no-no but to me, it is just a glaring reminder of how I haven't been able to keep myself on task to keep my kiddo on task.  After a little talk with myself and a nice piece of chocolate, I realize that the beauty of homeschooling is the flexibility of it all!

So, now that I that I feel better and understand that he and I can pick up right where we left off or start some place completely different. There is no right or wrong way to get started or better yet start again!

I came up with 5 steps to get me back into the groove and get this homeschool party started, quickly! Well, not too quickly because now that I look at our calendar all those plans I had need to wait until Mid-August.


Step 1: Look over all of your curriculum to make sure you have the topics you want covered. For instance, I have My Father's World, Math U See etc... Do a cursory look to make sure you have the items that will be needed such as books, manipulatives. If not, this is a perfect time to check with your local homeschool group, friends, stores and online to purchase or look at borrowing the items that will be needed. I have found waiting too close to the actual start of the school year causes a back log and often times out of stock situation.

Step 2: Don't plan too far ahead with those lesson plans. Getting started in your school year is stressful enough with sitting down to plan out 32-36 weeks of work at any given time. It's a good idea to know what you want to accomplish and/or topics you want to cover, but to be regimented to have every day and week accounted for at the beginning of your school year is just a pretty heady course! Even for those curriculums that have it spelled out daily for you, include some latitude to make room for change, supplements or even diversions!

Step 3: When it's time for the lesson plans, make a basic plan for your week without specific work at this time. Include all the subjects you want to cover, as well as outside obligations. For instance, I know that on Monday and Thursday, my kiddo has classes outside the home. I go ahead and plug those into my schedule so that when I do sit down to do my lesson plans, I can account for those out of pocket times.  I then move to write down the subjects we are planning to cover. I give a cursory look over the year and try to decide what we will realistically cover in a day with the given time I have allotted daily for "school."

Step 4: Make time in the year for field trips and enrichment activities to compliment your studies plus also to allow you and your child to grow in your learning and experiences, even it is not directly related to your studies. For instance, helping sort food at the church food pantry, singing Christmas carols at a local retirement home, or attending a Valentine's party hosted by your homeschool group can all be valuable in the growth and education of your child and family.

Step 5: Cut yourself some slack! Sticking to a rigid agenda will do more harm than good in my book. At least this has been my experience. Try to give yourself some "wiggle room" to be able to adjust your plans if needed. I still have a paper agenda that I keep and write in pencil just so I am not so "locked in" with pen. My OCD would require that anything written in pen and crossed out to be completely redone!! But I digress!! I have other friends that use online/electronic planners and then there is a whole set that don't use anything and make it up as they go along.

Getting started is always the hardest for me! My kiddo follows my lead and if I am enjoying this homeschool adventure, then so will he! (Well, for the most part!!) My attitude is just as important as his. After all, he isn't just paying attention when we are "doing school." This momma's always teaching and my kiddo's watching, even when I don't realize it!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Paula for your Tips on getting started! This is my first year full year (I pulled my girls from public school in March) and I am nervous about getting all the work done and being able to manage the extracurricular activities we have planned for the fall. Please keep sharing tips and suggestions! Thanks,
    HOLLY

    ReplyDelete