Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Spur of the moment lesson





My kiddo has been sick all week so the lesson plans had to be tweaked to include pretty much the stuff I read to him. Fortunately, he enjoys being read to and liked the subject matter too!! The other stuff like grammar, spelling, math, etc will be left until later this week or possibly just moved onto next week's docket.

Yesterday, finally merited a trip to the doctor for a dose of antibiotics to cure what ails the little fella. Fortunately, it was just a severe sinus infection, so all the Mucinex and Netipot rinses were futile against the strain. Anyway, a day later he is better but weak but not too weak for me to incorporate some of my fledgling lesson plans. We still scaled back because he doesn't have too much energy or focus. To be honest, I had some things I needed to get done so, that added to the subtraction of the workload.  See how I did that?? I worked math into the "equation." LOL -- That's my attempt at humor.

Anyway, earlier this afternoon we received a shipment of ice cream that I had ordered from a local business. They delivered them in two nice coolers and packed both boxes with dry ice. My kiddo had seen dry ice but only at a distance at a summer camp he attended last year. Hubby decided that it was a good time for an impromptu science lesson including the merits of dry ice, the dangers of dry ice and the coolness (no pun intended) of dry ice!!

To be honest, while they were doing this little experiment of theirs, I was thinking they are nuts but then I realized that my kiddo was excited and he learned something all at the same time. It reminded me that everything in life and in the day can be a lesson. Granted we don't have dry ice delivered to our door step every day and this was a little out of the ordinary. But, why can't we make lessons out of the mundane and the extreme?

Kiddo loved it and we got science in today too and it was not planned all at! That's a win/win in my book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment